Dogs4Sale.net :: Free Classifieds listing Pets, Dogs and Puppies for Sale Forum Index
Search Our SiteRegister Log in

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Cropped Ears - boxers?

Post Cropped Ears - boxers? 
I would like to get your opinions.

We have a 5 month old (approx.) boxer pup and my wife and I are trying to decide on cropped ears.  I personally don't want to do it but my wife and son do because they think he would look more sharp.

Thoughts?  Does it hurt the pup or can it cause any problems long term?

Dont do it!!!! The cropping hurts the dog and it will disadvantage everyone. The dog would have to wear a cone on its head to keep it from scratchingant their ears and it will make you and your wife sad to see your dog in pain. the dog would probubly cry in pain also and it wouldnt be able to hear things very well.

Where did cropping of the ears come from anyway?  Do you need to crop them if you want to get into show competition?

Where did cropping of the ears come from anyway?  Do you need to crop them if you want to get into show competition?

I dont know but dont do it.  It's soooo ugly.  Boxers have such cute floppy ears!

Plus, growing up our neighbor had a boxer with ear cropping gone bad.  it was really ugly and you could tell their dog didn't like it.   Embarassed

Originally I believe the practice of cropping dogs ears (particularly Boxers) and tails was in hunting. Ears and tails were a nice target to bite by larger game hunters were going after.  Also, being cropped it's easier for the dogs to whip through ground cover and bus

Also, as they were chasing things through ground cover, cropped ears would not get snagged as much.

Obviously,  all these things are irrelevant for a home pet.  My opinion is to leave them cute and floppy.  Wink

Free Dog and Puppy Community / Discussion Site

trevors wrote:

I dont know but dont do it.  It's soooo ugly.  Boxers have such cute floppy ears!

Plus, growing up our neighbor had a boxer with ear cropping gone bad.  it was really ugly and you could tell their dog didn't like it.   Embarassed

That's another good reason.  I've seen all to often Ear cropping gone bad which has resulted in malformed ears, infections etc....  very nasty stuff for something that's not needed.

Free Dog and Puppy Community / Discussion Site

All really good information.  I think the only hunting my pup will doing with our family is walking with me to the grocery store Smile

All very good information!  Thank you very much.  I think were defiantly going to SKIP the cropping!

Do not cropp the Boxers ears, they look better with their natural ears.
If you see pictures of the boxer with cropped ears, they look funny and the ears are cropped too long.
Leave the dogs ears, but dock the dogs tail.

I amo going to get a Boxer, but i am not gonna cropp the ears because the dogs natural ears make it look better.
Although I want a boxer with a docked tail. I think a boxer with a docked tail and natural ears look amazing Smile

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1